News

Netflix hit ‘House of Cards’ gets third season

Netflix hit ‘House of Cards’ gets third season

BACK FOR ANOTHER SEASON: Actor Kevin Spacey, from the drama series "House of Cards," arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California Jan. 18. Photo: Reuters/Mario Anzuoni

NEW YORK (Reuters) – “House of Cards,” the Emmy Award-winning, online-only political drama starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright, will get a third season on Netflix,, the series’ producer said on Tuesday.

Netflix has ordered the latest season of the gripping series on Washington machinations from Media Rights Capital, the independent studio behind the series, according to a representative for the producer.

The second season, with two-time Oscar winner Spacey playing ruthless South Carolina Representative Francis Underwood and Wright, who won a Golden Globe for her portrayal of his equally ambitious wife, will premiere on Netflix on February 14.

All 13 episodes will be at available at once on the subscription video streaming service.

“House of Cards” made television history last year when it won three Emmys, including one for Oscar-nominated David Fincher (“Fight Club” and “Social Network”) for outstanding director for a drama series.

Netflix became the first online-only company to win the awards. Spacey and Wright were also nominated for their performances.

Netflix’s move into original content and the popularity of series such as “House of Cards” and prison comedy-drama “Orange is the New Black” have shaken up television and are changing how consumers watch entertainment. The political drama has also had a positive impact on subscriber growth, according to Netflix.

“House of Cards” is based on a book and a BBC miniseries of the same name.

(Reporting by Patricia Reaney; Editing by Piya Sinha-Roy)

Recent Headlines

in Local

AMBER alert issued for 5-year-old abducted in Albany County

Fresh
crime2

Two suspects wearing all black and ski masks forced entry into a home and abducted the child.

in National

Accused Boston bomber appears in court

In this courtroom sketch, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is depicted sitting in federal court in Boston Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, for a final hearing before his trial begins in January. Tsarnaev is charged with the April 2013 attack that killed three people and injured more than 260. He could face the death penalty if convicted.

The Boston Marathon bombing suspect told a judge that he was satisfied with his lawyers' preparations for the January start of his trial over the deadly 2013 attack.

in Local

Police: Dryden man threatened woman with knife, gun

crime

State police have charged David E. Cornell, 41, with menacing.

in Local

Wineries “ecstatic” over casino announcement in Finger Lakes

Wine Corks & More

Executive Director of Cayuga Lake Wine Trail says partnership between new casino, wine trail is "just like a marriage"

in Local

New York AG wants big stores to stop selling realistic-looking toy guns

state leg

Eric Schneiderman has written to K-Mart, Sears, Amazon, Walmart