News

Ford recalls 750,000 vehicles

Ford recalls 750,000 vehicles

RECALL:The No. 2 U.S. automaker is recalling 692,487 Escape SUVs and C-Max hybrids from model years 2013 and 2014 for a potential software problem that could delay deployment of the side curtain rollover airbags in certain accidents. About 65,000 of the vehicles are the C-Max, a spokeswomen said. Photo: Associated Press

DETROIT (Reuters) – Ford Motor Co is recalling more than 750,000 vehicles, most of them Escape sport utility vehicles, in North America to address possible software and door-handle problems.

The No. 2 U.S. automaker is recalling 692,487 Escape SUVs and C-Max hybrids from model years 2013 and 2014 for a potential software problem that could delay deployment of the side curtain rollover airbags in certain accidents. About 65,000 of the vehicles are the C-Max, a spokeswomen said.

Of the recalled vehicles, almost 595,000 were sold in the United States and its territories, more than 78,000 in Canada, and about 19,500 in Mexico, Ford said.

Ford said no accidents or injuries related to the problem have been reported. Dealers will reprogram the restraint control module.

Separately, Ford is also recalling 692,744 Escape SUVs from the 2013 and 2014 model years to address potential faulty door handles that could prevent doors from latching properly. The company said doors could open while driving, increasing the risk of injury.

No accidents or injuries related to the issue have been reported, Ford said. Dealers will inspect and, as needed, reposition the handles.

Of the recalled vehicles, almost 583,000 were sold in the United States and its territories, more than 89,000 in Canada, and about 20,000 in Mexico, Ford said.

In both recalls, Ford said there may be additional vehicles affected in other markets.

Most of the Escapes being recalled have both problems. The recalls are the ninth and tenth for the 2013 model of the Escape.

(Reporting by Ben Klayman in Detroit; Editing by Peter Galloway)

Recent Headlines

in National

Amanda Knox murder conviction overturned

FILE - In this Jan. 31, 2014, file photo, Amanda Knox prepares to leave the set following a television interview in New York. Knox is engaged to Colin Sutherland, a musician who recently moved to Seattle from New York, a person close to the Knox family confirmed for The Associated Press. Knox’s murder conviction in the 2007 stabbing of her roommate has been reinstated by an Italian court, but the former college exchange student maintains her innocence and vows she won’t willingly go back to Italy. Both Knox and Sutherland are 27. No wedding date had been set.

Italy's highest court has overturned the murder conviction against Amanda Knox, bringing to a definitive end the high-profile case.

in Local

Mesko sentenced to state prison time

gavel_court

The former Cornell student allegedly entered a woman's bedroom and sexually assaulted her in March 2013.

in National

Time for Iran to make tough decisions in nuclear talks

In this March 26, 2015, photo, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, center, leaves a meeting with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and other U.S. officials at a hotel in Lausanne, Switzerland. U.S. and Iranian diplomats gather at a Baroque palace in Europe, a historic nuclear agreement within reach. Over Iraq’s deserts, their militaries fight a common foe. Leaders in Washington and Tehran, capitals once a million miles from each other in ideological terms, wrestle for the first time in decades with the notion of a rapprochement.

Six world powers and Iran move closer to a deal, but there are still major disagreements.

in Sports

This week’s top sports shots

AP564917773040_12

A look at some of the biggest plays and best photos in sports this week.

in Sports

This weekend’s sports schedule

playball

A look at some of this weekend's biggest sporting events.