Local

NY teen gets 18 months in “knockout game” death

A 13-year-old boy has been sentenced to 18 months of confinement for the beating death of a 51-year-old Syracuse man.

The teenager waived his right to a hearing that was scheduled for Friday.

He had pleaded guilty to assault and attempted assault, admitting that he started the fatal beating by attempting to knock the man out with a single punch.

The teen said he and his friends were playing a street game called “knockout.”

His punch apparently had little to no effect, but the follow-up from a 16-year-old boy caused bleeding in the victim’s brain, and he died in late May.

The 16-year-old co-defendant was found guilty last month in Onondaga County Family Court of second-degree manslaughter and received the same sentence.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

More Local Headlines

in Local

Man who shot person in Ithaca located in Brooklyn

marshall

James "Pip" Marshall has been sought by law enforcement since he shot a man in the leg in June in Ithaca's West Village Apartments.

in Local

Cuomo: Common Core must be fixed

school2

Twenty percent of eligible students skipped the tests in April.

in Local

NY updates emergency plans, dealing with oil trains

oil drill

As many as 44 100-car oil trains a week move through upstate New York.

in Local

Officials urge patience on investigation in Danby standoff

Danby House

Deputy County Administrator Paula Younger says a new development in the standoff investigation isn't a setback, just another step in the process.

in Local

Opt-out movement likely to continue this school year

school3

School officials say students who opt-out of tests won't stop them from having to teach to those tests due to state rules.