An alert neighbor may have helped avoid a tragedy last night.
The Ithaca Fire Department responded to a residence on Farm Street in Ithaca around 11pm Tuesday night to find a pot burning on a stove pumping smoke into the apartment.
Fire crews quickly removed the pot and vented the smoke, and after a quick search found a non-alert occupant in a bedroom.
The patient was brought out to paramedics and transported to Cayuga Medical Center for evaluation.
The Fire Department credits a working smoke detector and an alert neighbor for dialing 9-1-1 and alleviating the situation.